The Life EMS Medical First Responder program follows and exceeds the U.S. D.O.T. and MDHHS curriculum. This 80+ hour course prepares the participants to challenge the National Registry written and Practical exams for licensure.
Developed by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) this curriculum is designed to enable you to become an effective Medical First Responder. Time spent in the classroom will prepare the student to manage many emergencies until an ambulance arrives.
Some core content includes:
- Recognize the nature and seriousness of the patient’s condition or extent of injuries to assess requirements for emergency medical care;
- Administer appropriate emergency medical care based on assessment findings of the patient’s condition;
- Lift, move, position and otherwise handle the patient to minimize discomfort and prevent further injury; and,
- Perform safely and effectively the expectations of the job description.
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- High school graduate or G.E.D. equivalent
- Current Healthcare Provider or Professional Rescuer CPR card
- Observation on an ambulance is an optional component of this course
The following immunizations are only required if you are participating in the clinical experience:
- Tetanus and Diptheria toxoid within last ten years
- Measels, Mumps, and Rubella vaccination*
- Varicella vaccination or immunity by disease
- Hep-B vaccination**
* If born after 1956 the student must have documented proof of vaccine or seropositivity.
** The series of three Hep-B vaccinations must have been started by the end of the first week of class if you will be participating in the clinical experience.
Cost includes textbook, workbook, MDCH Objectives, blood pressure cuff & stethoscope, and CPR pocket mask.
Our next MFR course will begin March 6th 2018 and end May 22nd 2018. The class will meet on Tuesday & Thursday evenings from 6:00 pm until 10:00 pm.
***Class can only be held with at least 10 registered students.
Life EMS Ambulance
1279 Cedar St. NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Non-Refundable Registration Fee: $200 (due at the time of registration).
Full Course Fee: $530