The Life EMS Emergency Medical Technician program follows and exceeds the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) curriculum. This 200+ hour course prepares the participants for the National Registry EMT cognitive and psychomotor certification examinations.
Developed by the U.S. DOT, the EMT curriculum is designed to enable you to become an effective Emergency Medical Technician. In addition to the time spent in the classroom, you will have to complete a designated number of clinical hours that are divided among hospital emergency departments and ambulances.
Some core content includes:
- Recognize the nature and seriousness of the patient’s condition or extent of injuries to assess requirements for emergency medical care;
- Administer appropriate emergency medical care based on assessment findings of the patient’s condition;
- Lift, move, position, and otherwise handle the patient to minimize discomfort and prevent further injury;
- After providing initial care, preparing the patient for transport to an area hospital and continuing care en route; and,
- Safely and effectively perform the expectations of the job description.
- Current AHA BLS Provider or American Red Cross Professional Rescuer CPR card
- Tetanus and Diptheria toxoid vaccine within the last 10 years
- Measles, mumps, rubella vaccinations, or documentation of immunity
- Varicella (chickenpox) vaccination or documentation of immunity
- Hepatitis B series vaccinations or documentation of immunity*
- Current influenza vaccination
* The Hep-B vaccination series must be started prior to clinical participation.
- $200 non-refundable registration fee to secure your seat in the course
- $1750 EMT course fee – due in full a week before the start of the course
NOTE: The course fee includes textbook, workbook, MDHHS objectives, blood pressure cuff & stethoscope, and CPR pocket mask.
Upcoming Course Schedule:
Summer 2021 EMT Academy – An accelerated course running from July 6, 2021 – September 9, 2021
Our accelerated EMT course will be a blended schedule with a significant portion done online, with flexibility for you to work around your current schedule. Students will meet for the required in-person class dates every Tuesday, beginning with the first day of class, July 6th, from 8am-5pm. The final week of class will be completely in-person for final reviews and exams.
Fall 2021 EMT Blended Learning Course – A streamlined course running from September 1, 2021 – December 23, 2021
We are offering a blended schedule of in-person and online learning to streamline our traditional EMT program. Class meets on Monday & Wednesday evenings from 6:00 pm until 10:00 pm and two Saturdays per month. There will also be 6 online class dates scheduled during the program. This blended schedule allows you to complete your EMT course in 3.5 months, rather than the traditional 6-month program.
Spring 2021 EMT Course – Our traditional EMT course running from March 10, 2021 – September 2, 2021.
The traditional EMT class will meet on Monday & Wednesday evenings from 6:00 pm until 10:00 pm, and one Saturday per month from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm.
Spring 2021 EMT Academy – An accelerated course running from April 20, 2021 – June 11, 2021
Our accelerated EMT course will be a blended schedule with a significant portion done online, with flexibility for you to work around your current schedule. Students will meet for the required in-person class dates every Tuesday, beginning with the first day of class, April 20th, from 8am-5pm. The final week of class will be completely in-person for final reviews and exams.
Class Location: Classes are held at 1279 Cedar St NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503.
$200.00 – $1,950.00
Non-Refundable Registration Fee: $200 (due at the time of registration).
EMT Course Fee: $1,750 (due in-full a week before the start of the course).
Full Course Fee: $1,950 (registration fee included).