The Life EMS Emergency Medical Technician program follows and exceeds the U.S. D.O.T. and MDHHS curriculum. This 200+ hour course prepares the participants to challenge the National Registry written and psychomotor exams for certification.
Developed by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) this curriculum is designed to enable you to become an effective Basic – Emergency Medical Technician. In addition to the time spent in the classroom you will have to complete a designated number of clinical hours that are divided among hospital emergency departments and ambulances.
Some core content includes:
- Recognize the nature and seriousness of the patient’s condition or extent of injuries to assess requirements for emergency medical care;
- Administer appropriate emergency medical care based on assessment findings of the patient’s condition;
- Lift, move, position and otherwise handle the patient to minimize discomfort and prevent further injury;
- After providing initial care, preparing the patient for transport to an area hospital and continuing care enroute; and,
- Safely and effectively perform the expectations of the job description.
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- High school graduate or G.E.D. equivalent
- Current BLS Provider or Professional Rescuer CPR card
- Tetanus and diptheria toxoid vaccine within the last 10 years
- Measles, mumps, rubella vaccinations or documentation of immunity
- Varicella (chicken pox) vaccination or documentation of immunity
- Hepatitis B series vaccinations or documentation of immunity*
- Current influenza vaccination
* The series of three Hep-B vaccinations must have been started by the end of the first week of class in order to participate in the clinical experience.
Course Fee includes textbook, workbook, MDHHS Objectives, blood pressure cuff & stethoscope, and CPR pocket mask.
Life EMS is an approved training institution by Michigan Works. Contact your local Michigan Works branch to see if you qualify for tuition assistance.
Our next EMT-Basic course will begin September 5th, 2018 and end February 20th, 2019. EMT class meets on Monday & Wednesday evenings from 6:00 pm until 10:00 pm and one Saturday per month from 8:00am until 5:00pm. Class is held at 1279 Cedar St NE Grand Rapids, MI 49503.
Our Spring session will begin March 6th, 2019.
$200.00 – $1,950.00
Non-Refundable Registration Fee: $200 (due at the time of registration).
Full Course Fee: $1,950 (due at the start of class).